In 1929, Boston Children's Hospital physicians Harvey Cushing, MD, and Franc Ingraham, MD, established the Department of Neurosurgery —marking the introduction of pediatric neurosurgery as a formally recognized field.
The central focus of all treatment is aimed on your child. Highest priority is given to provide all diagnostic and therapeutic measures in a time-effective and indulgent way. The little and bigger patients are usually taken care of at specialised wards of the Pedriatic Centers.
Because of the close cooperation with pediatricians and pediatric nurses optimized care and service can be provided.
Depending on the condition, wards of the Neuropediatrics, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology or Pediatric Surgery are in charge of neurosurgical patients.
Aim is the state-of-the-art therapy of pediatric neurosurgical conditions a highest international standards. Therefor specifics of the immature nervous system are considered to secure an optimized development of your child. For this purpose, a close cooperation with pediatric surgeons, pediatric orthopedics, psychologists, physio- and ergotherapists and practitioners has been established to offer a continuous care during and also after in-patient treatments. The Centers for Social-Pediatrics throughout Germany are involved to manage complicated case of long-term care.
Because of the close connection to European and International Pediatric Neurosurgical Societies (ESPN and ISPN) the Know-How and recommendations of renowned experts from all over the world can be sought to treat even very difficult cases in the best possible way.
Furthermore, Pediatric Neurosurgeons and also members of the web team of Kinderneurochirurgie-Leipzig.de work to improve scientific knowledge and develops future technologies, as proven by the multitude of international cooperations:
- Center of International Infant Hydrocephalus Study (IIHStudy.org)
- Research Center «Disseminated oligodendroglial-like leptomeningeal tumours» (DOGLT)
- Optimising treatment of pediatric traumatic brain injury utilising simultaneous ptiO2 and ICP-Monitoring
- Use of Bevacizumab (Avastin) and Boswellic Serrata in pediatrc patients during and after radiation therapy
- Use of Boswellic Acid (Indian Frankincense) for supportive treatment during radiation therapy
- Innovative Hydrocephalus imaging (IHIWG.org)
- neuroendoscopic treatment of posthemorrhagic treatment of preterm infants
- Hydrocephalus and Intracranial Pressure in small animals